23 March 2010

Pay it Backward

There has been a Liberty Mutual commercial on the electric picture box recently that makes my brain hurt. I try not to be cynical (especially now because conan told me not to be), but don't put a sequence of progressively less significant "good deeds" on tv with one of those songs that a marginally talented artist most likely wrote with the idea i their head that "hey, i bet this song could end up in a commercial". So as not to leave you in suspense...



So to recap, or just cap if you cheated and skipped to this paragraph:

Scenario 1:
A business woman is standing at an intersection and stops a pizza guy from walking into certain doom. Okay, impressive. You saved a life, but I don't think he was exactly on his way to the clinic to drop off the cure for aids.

Scenario 2:
A man who observed the saving of a life in scenario 1 was inspired enough to help a woman off of the bus with her baby stroller. This, in my humble opinion, doesn't make him a hero . It makes him not a dick. Luckily, however, a man at the bus stop witnessed this do-gooder...

Scenario 3:
...which leads to...wait. This guy just helped another guy get a mixing bowl off the top shelf. Really? I'm not sure he's exactly carrying the torch here. Oh, hold it. Is that mixing bowl where the pizza guy put the cure for aids?

Scenarios 4 through 10
I can't go on anymore. The remaining situations involve a woman not letting a ball get run over, a man taking time away from his standing still to hand someone their bag, someone holding a door open, a guy not steeling a dollar from an old man, a lady not forcing a father and his toddler to stand up on a bus, a guy not leaving his crap out in someone elses way to fall over, and somebody lending a guy a 10 cents to pay a parking meter.

Honestly, I guess it just makes me mad that these people do what a human being should do anyway and everyone around them smirks and tilts their heads in shock and amazement (which I understand are conflicting responses). And even more honestly, I just want people to smirk and tilt their heads to the side when I do those things. Maybe if I just played that cheese douche song on a loudspeaker wherever I went, they would.

No comments: