21 March 2010

How I Try to Relate with My Shipmates

I headed over to Kitty O'shea's up the road last Saturday for some good tap beer and to pretend to watch sports while I wait for a beautiful girl to ask me if I would like to listen to Them Crooked Vultures whilst watching me play video games and zombie movies simultaneously (I'm convinced it will happen if I sit somewhere long enough). I was flipping through Orlando Weekly to find that Danielson was playing a show that very night at a place called Stardust Video & Coffee.



The venue was really great. It is a very small coffee bar tucked away in a resiential neighborhood. There were two openening bands: Ben + Vesper and Ortolan. They are both on the same Sounds Familyre record label as Danielson and each contained at least one member of Danielson Famile, which made for an enjoyable 3hours of musical incest.

I'm always so nervous about not showing bands that I like a great time. Regardless of the ticket price I feel lik we owe it to them to have a great time since they made the effort to come and entertain us. So I was naturally pretty annoyed when Danielson walked onto this tiny stage which afforded us an intimate experience and everyone was sitting at their tables like we were at a freaking poetry slam. I walked up and stood directly in front of Dan. He was obviously slightly annoyed as well since he said to everyone;

"I understand everyone wants to be nice and comfy in their chairs, but you should all come a little closer. We're going to have some clap alongs."

I turned around and yelled at everyone to come up as if my input counted (half the room was already starting to stand up and make their way up), though Daniel did make sure to say that sometimes peer pressure is a good thing and looked my way. I appreciated that.



All in all it was a great show. The crowd obviously enjoyed it and they encored with "Did I Step on Your Trumpet", a great way to end the night. Though it is difficult to leave such a good show that I would have loved to experienced with friends to go back to a hotel. I did the next best thing and called Louie to vent my excitement. Though if there are more shows like that, hopefully I won't be experiencing them alone for much longer.

No comments: