27 April 2011

Record Store Day 2011



We had a visitor in town here recently. None other than Mr. Jamez Kelske. Liana got stuck working at the last minute, so I sweet talked (bullshit because Jamez is always up for anything) Jamez into going to Record Store Day 2011 with me at Park Ave CDs. Record Store Day started several years back and is amazing because it gets musical artists to release special edition vinyl (and CD's as well) solely for the special event. The records are only available at participating independent record stores and draws a hell of a crowd.

Photo Courtesy of Park Ave CDs

Jamez came along with for the exciting morning of standing in line and was extremely good company considering he couldn't care less about vinyl. Now Free Comic Day, as he will tell you, is something to dress up for. But I digress. After 2 hours or so in line, we got to the front door where we were greeted by one of the store's employees explaining how it works.

The basics:
1) 12" 33 1/3 in the back
2) 10" and 7" EP's along the East wall
3) Only one title per person (i.e. no ebay dick holes looking to score a dollar)
4) Don't be a fart ass. Be nice and buy your records.

I got almost everything I had wanted for myself and Liana with the exception of the Of Montreal 12" limited edition release: The Past is a Grotesque Animal featuring the track from Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? as well as a different version of the song featured in a short film by Spike Jonez called ''I'm Here".


On a side note, watch the short film. It travels a bit slow, but is unique enough to keep you interested and sincerely heart wrenching to the point that my girlfriend, Liana and I laid in bed sobbing after watching it.


Here's what I picked up:
This is an EP containing bands like LCD Soundsystem and Stephin Merritt from the Magnetic Fields.

Busdriver is a rapper that Jimbo introduced me to. Definitely worth checking out and I'm excited to here the new EP.

The Rekords Rekords Record Store Day 10" release with some tracks from the likes of Alain Johannes, Mini Mansions, Desert Sessions, and Queens of the Stone Age

This album was recorded entirely on an IPad during their Plastic Beach Tour.

This was a Record Store Day 2010 release from Queens of the Stone Age that I never thought I would find.

The Rated X special edition re-release of Rated R with some bonus tracks only available on vinyl. Also not a Record Store Day Release, but I used the day as an excuse to justify spending the $50.

This is apparently a Desert Sessions bootleg containing the "Best of" from vol. I-VI. I got this for Liana who has almost completed her collection of Desert Sessions vinyl. This wasn't a Records Store Day release, but a must have nonetheless.

Definitely a good day and despite not picking up the Of Montreal EP, which I have on it's way from someone on Ebay as I write this,I got everything I had to have. There were some other things I would have liked to get like the Flaming Lips boxed set, but I think those were expensive enough that they'll be around for a little while longer. Can't wait for 2012!

1 comment:

Liana Kangas said...

I'm totes going to buy us the kills album too! I can't wait to listen to the rest with you! I really liked the peaches cover.